It is essential that all Rhodes University sections and divisions communicate with each other before commencing work on infrastructure.
Works Mailing List
The works@lists mailing list is intended to allow those divisions and sections involved in civil works on campus to announce their intention to break ground (install pipes, data sleeves, electrical cables, foundations, etc) or undertake major work within an existing building (knock down walls, rip out fixtures, etc).
To subscribe: visit https://lists.ru.ac.za/mailman/listinfo/works
To send a message: email works(at)lists.ru.ac.za
Message: does not have to be complex or detailed - just give the nature of the work, the location, the date(s), and who will be undertaking the work.
Bear in mind the following:
Routes of existing underground services.
Macro plans for realignment of roads, new buildings & landscape improvements.
The need to allow for service providers within the university to comment, plan and participate in any trenching or construction activities that would allow sharing of common services, trenches, ducting, construction processes, etc, in order to reduce overheads.
Avoiding unnecessary expenditure caused by damage to infrastructure, e.g. by driving over lawns and irrigation systems, entering service areas, dumping cement and rubble, digging up pipes, cutting through roots of trees, etc.
- Administration and Operations (Andy Hatting - ext 7201) - for comment on all plans for trenches, construction, etc.
Grounds and Gardens
- Assistant Manager Horticulture (Philip Crous - ext 7208) - for all lawns, gardens & street tree issues
- Assistant Manager Operations (Luc Marechal - ext 8241) - for roads, pavements and sports fields.
- Manager (Wally Bufe - ext 8033) - for all matters pertaining to electrical installations and underground cabling.
- Manager Building Maintenance (Cromwell Dyala - ext 7439) - for all matters pertaining to water mains, plumbing, sewage and building foundations.
- Manager Engineering (Dave Martin - ext 8238) - for all matters pertaining to boiler pipes, heat pumps, air conditioning infrastructure, etc.
- Telecommunications Manager (John Stevens - ext 8279) - for all matters pertaining to information technology and telecommunications network and cabling.
Under NO circumstances should any contractor be allowed to commence construction / work on any site without first having informed the above sections and gained permission for access, storage, etc.
If any damage is caused, the project should be held responsible for providing for full reinstatement of ALL disturbed areas. Final payments should not be approved until such time as all relevant parties sign off that the site has been left in an acceptable manner.
Contact: RU extension 8125 or email estates(at)ru.ac.za
Facilities Manager: Mr Andy Hatting, RU extension 7201, a.hatting(at)ru.ac.za
Map: search "Estates" at www.ru.ac.za/static/campusmap/
Searching for info? Go to the Search Box (top right side of this page)
Maintenance requests: authorised staff may submit an ONLINE REQUISITION
Return to the Rhodes University Facilities Department front page. Questions/Suggestions? Contact estates(at)ru.ac.za
Last Modified: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 15:57:54 SAST